Becoming a Wrestling Referee

Becoming a Wrestling Referee
High School and Below
Collegiate Wrestling
International Wrestling (United World Wrestling & USA Wrestling)
You Make The Call/Misc. Videos
Self Improvement Products
Uniform/Equipment Links
Various Officiating Articles
Official's Forum Links
Other Officiating/Wrestling Links
Officials Hall of Fame/Awards
Skin Disorders in Wrestling
Scheduling Tools
Evaluation Forms/Tools
Contact Me


Donations are greatly appreciated. (PayPal and Major Credit Cards are accepted)


  • High School and Below

Each State has an athletic or activities association that sets the guidelines for interscholastic competition.  These associations also have the procedures for becoming an official.  Typically to become a wrestling official you'll need to join the State Association, possibly join a local association, be a high school graduate, pass an annual exam, attend a annual rules update meeting and attend any training sessions that the state or local association requires.


Click here to find your State's Association

State and Local Wrestling Officials Associations (Updated May 7, 2012)

Wrestling Refereeing for Begineers by Jim Woolnough


  • Collegiate
Officials desiring to be NCAA certified must watch a on-line video clinic and pass an exam (on-line) by scoring 85% or higher.   The exam and  clinic opens on September 15, 2014 and must be completed by October 19, 2014.  This will put you on the NCAA certified officials list.  Coaches must hire officials off this list or face sanctions by the NCAA.  Officials should contact a local association to work out assignments and scheduling and association specific training and certification requirements.  In addition, NCAA Officials must register with ArbiterSports ($100 fee) at: http://ncaawrestling.arbitersports.com/
Details about the 2014 clinics can be found here: http://matref0.tripod.com/Articles/2014NCAAClinicMemo.pdf
Another angle is to join the National Colligate Wrestling Officials Association (NCWA).  This group focuses on the many college wrestling clubs throughout the country.

Click here to join the NCWA

College Wrestling Officials Associations


  • International

USA Wrestling is the national governing body for International wrestling within the United States.  Being licensed with the United States Wrestling Officials Association (USWOA) allows you to officiate Free-Style (Men & Womens) and Greco-Roman wrestling.  Dues are paid annually and you'll receive a stamp for your license book and the current rules.  You can become a pairings official through the USWOA.

2014 USA Wrestling Application

RENEWALS: Click here for instructions to be a 2014 USA Wrestling official. Note: All officials are required to undergo a background check every two years.

Copyright Wrestlingref.Com 2015